In June 2023, EFIEES has answered to two consultations launched by the European Commission on a possible 2040 climate target for the EU. This was the occasion to express EFIEES’ support to such a target.
In our answers we have emphasised that :
- The first goal is to achieve the objectives already set (for 2030)
- “Energy Efficiency First” must remain a key guiding principle, as energy efficiency measures and renewables uptake go hand in hand
- It is of utmost importace to focus on guaranteed and maintained performance over time
- To respond to a likely rebound effect, it will be even more crucial to work on citizens’ and users’ behaviour, hence a need to focus on energy sufficiency.
- A continuous focus on just transition and filling the skills-gap will be needed.
- It is important to strike the right balance and avoid over legislating.
- Any new revision of a directive or extension of a system should be carefully assessed